1 November, 2020
SMART Recovery Meetings – now online
SMART Recovery is a global self-help, mutual aid program that offers a place for people to get together to try to change addictive behaviours that are harmful to themselves and others.
Addictive behaviours can include problematic drinking, substance use, gambling, over-eating, shopping, internet, sex and others.
- Every meeting is run by a trained SMART Recovery Facilitator (based locally in South Gippsland)
- Focus on the addictive behaviour, not the substance itself
- Free and inclusive to people challenged by any type of addiction
- No registration required to attend a group
- 60-90 minutes in duration
- Groups usually range from 3-6 attendees
- Participants may attend if they are still using but cannot participate if intoxicated
- Identify goals and set an achievable plan for the week ahead
- Focus on the present and future, not the past
- Participants learn evidence-based tools and techniques from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Motivational Interviewing to apply to daily life
- In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, meetings are now being held online via https://smartrecoveryaustralia.com.au/
- For information, visit the SMART Recovery Australia website at https://smartrecoveryaustralia.com.au/ or contact Gippsland Southern Health Service on 03 5667 5506.