The name Jumbunna is taken from the eastern Kulin language of the Bunnerong tribe and means “a place to meet and talk”.
Like many of the townships around, the origins of the community lies in the discovery of coal. In its heyday, the town had 153 houses, large hotel, three stores, three coffee palaces, a mechanics’ institute, a cordial factory and more. in 1900 a school was built, and in 1901 the Anglican church.
The Jumbunna General Store opened in 1893 and closed in 1976. The Store building now has Category 1 heritage listing with the South Gippsland Shire Council.
The town has declined over time, with many of the original houses shifted to Wonthaggi by bullock dray. Today the community is around 15 houses. The town hall has lived through dramatic change, yet remains a key hub for the community including the monthly Jumbunna Market.